Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chemistry Love


Cub is taking Pre-Chem at Tutoring Center under the excellent tutelage of Mrs. J, using McHenry's guide to Intro to Chemistry. He loves it. Who wouldn't when gum-drops and games are involved? Hands on learning. See above.

He is also watching Intro to Chemistry by Wes Olsen with Feeche and Flower. It's more of a literature approach to chemistry, rather than a math/science approach to chem. That being said, Stafford does explain difficult concepts in ways that are engaging, interesting and FUN.

Love layering concepts and ideas for mastery.

7 comments:

MissMOE said...

Thanks for the great list of resources to check out.

Sonshine Classical Academy said...

Ha! I love that term, tutelage, lol. Great resources...I'll have to check those out! I wonder how long the gumdrops lasted before they were ingested ;).

Nicole said...

Could you give me more information on Wes Stafford? I can't find anything on him and Intro to Chemistry. I have found Wes Olson Chemistry 101, but that's all. Thank you!

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Nicole- you are right. It's Wes Olsen. Sorry!! Going to change it now ; ) (sheepish grin).

Nicole said...

Thank you! Do you really like the 101 series? It looks really great to me, but I hate to purchase it without a great recommendation.

Hen Jen said...

that looks like a fun approach to Chemistry, I'm going to have to remember this!

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

I do like the 101 series. I wouldn't count it as a 1 unit high school credit (carnegie unit = 120-160 hours of work) but it is a great supplement, or a good spine for a non-science student. With that, I'd still ramp it up with more resources to be at least 1/2 a high school credit.
My kids also enjoyed the Bio 101 DVD. Again, it's short a full h.s. credit but a great supplement, or a good starting place.