Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Getting Aquainted, Part I

Art's Chili Pepper has a great series on "Getting Acquainted that I love. One of the first things I do when I visit a blog is to head over to the "About Me" section. So, I'm doing a series, too. Wanna join in?

My life is comprised of many things, people and happenings. I am a Christian and fairly conservative, but I've been known to swear a blue streak  on rare occasion. I figure I'm in good company with Patton. I have been married for 27 incredibly long, incredibly short fly-by years to Dr. Dh who is witty, wise and a bit compulsive. He drives me crazy by punning and practical joking but makes up for it by telling me with regularity how beautiful I am (gotta love that in a husband!). He word-perfectly croons 70's and 80's songs to me and tells me nerdy fun facts about astronomy, archeology, Hebrew, the Bible, psychology, and whatever other nerd phenomenon he is currently in to. Nominal nerd that I am I listen wtih rapt attention.

Together we have 5 children, ranging in age from 9 to 25 years old; 3 daughters and 2 sons. The oldest is a college grad, working her first post-college job and living in KY, after spending lots of time abroad. Our second daughter is a Cosmetologist who reads The Universe Next Door for fun, in between making my toe-nails look like works of art. Our youngest daughter is 9; she loves math and music, kittens and art and is not too old to snuggle with her Momma. Love that.

Our oldest son is 18 and a senior in high school this year. He loves theater, literature, science, working out and ballroom dancing. Our 12 year old consumes books and loves building and battles.
All of our kids are creative, faithful, fun people who drive me a little close to the edge with regularity. Funny how people are all like that, eh?

We've homeschooled for 22 years in CA, OH, NM and SD and traveled most of the rest of the states along the way. We have gone from a literature based approach to a neo-classical approach with an firm undergirding of classical unshcooling. We do tons of reading, memory work, and lit studies, with a good dose of math, science and STEM studies thrown in. I am a findcoolstuff4mykids2dofool and they have done some pretty cool things over the years. I'm not above creating and starting stuff if it doesn't already exist and in  my own special way I drive my dh and kids a bit close to the edge about as regularly as they drive me there.

Besides a day job Dr. Dh and his able assistants (me, the kids and whatever helpful souls volunteer) are restoring our 1920's something craftsman style 4 x 4 farmhouse that we were burned out of 3 years ago. Within days and months of the house burning both my Sister and Dad died. It was one of the saddest, hardest years of my life and my husband and children spoke words of faith and love and solace to me and brought me tea and smiles and hugs and hope in ways that I will be forever grateful for.

Along with major house re-model projects we garden excessively, read voraciously and follow some  crazy faith inspired tangents. Our live has been full of joy, pain, challenges and successes and God has shown up at some odd and inspiring times to lift our heads, encourage our hearts and call us to a life that is ever more intentionally following after Him.

Oh yeah. I craft and create, write and blog. Gotta have art, right?
Stop back later for Part II.  What about you?

Linking up at http://hiphomeschoolmoms.com/" target="_blank">http://www.hiphomeschoolmoms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Logo-Button.png
" width="130" height="130" alt="Hip Homeschool Moms Button" />

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi there! I'm creating a blogroll of blogs that blog (at least occasionally) about homeschooling high school. (http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/homeschool-high-school-blogs/) I came across yours today and added it. I love finding blogs by folks in all stages of homeschooling! :) I hope you’ll drop by and hang out with us at LHSHS.com soon. Thanks in advance! Blessings...

Katie