Saturday, February 26, 2011

His Strength, My Weakness, My Weak Knees

Like most people I have 2 knees. That's a good thing.
 I love my knees
One of my knees, however,  is going through a mid-life crises. It is suing me for divorce. And like most of those betrayed by someone they love, I feel angry and bitter. Why can't my knee see the light and love me back?

Having a knee bail on it's responsibilities has created havoc in my life. Standing has become an act of faith. Walking touch-and-go. Carrying anything, out of the question.  I am downing handfuls of calcium, Chondroitin and aspirin.  This feeling of being crippled, I don't like it, not one little bit!

I talked with a friend this past week. Her life has been hard. Really, really hard. She's been served divorce papers literally and figuratively on so many different levels. Family secrets revealed in her own life and people who didn't show up to do their part- like my knee. She is suffering as a result. Really suffering; financially, socially, vocationally, familially. The world is missing out on her gifts and calling and love because she is consumed by trying to accomplish the most basic needs in her life- standing and walking in the face of really difficult circumstances that are determined to cripple her.

We talked for a long time. And, while the older I get, the less I know, I do know this:

The enemy wants to steal, kill and destroy us. He has a specific plan for each of our lives in order to accomplish that. His intent is to wreck havoc with our relationship with the Master of the Universe, our calling, our loved ones, our purpose and hearts desires. He wants to cripple us. (John 10:10)
Jesus  is strong. He loves it when we come to Him and cry, "Abba, Father, I need your help!" (2 Corinthians 12:10)
Jesus loves His little children of which I am one. So is my friend. So are you. Oh, how He loves you and me! (Matthew 19:13)
I can do nothing in my own strength. Even when it seems like I can, when there is appearance of success. Whatever we think we've attained or achieved or become or do- it is because HE has saved us and HE has allowed good things.  Every good and perfect gift comes from above. (James 1:17)
I need the healing touch of Jesus in my life, every bit as much as my friend. I need healed. I need my knee restored. My friend needs healed. She needs her life resorted. (Matthew 9:35).
He makes all things new. Remember on The Passion of the Christ? Jesus is stumbling under the weight of the cross, bloodied and beaten and he turns to Mary, his Momma, and says, "See, I make all things new." I'll take a bloodied and beaten Savior who can sit at the right hand of the Father and perform unfathomable wonders in my life and yours and in a world that is bloodied and battered over a good looking god of wood and stone anyday. (Revelation 21:5)
I'm impatient. I want things fixed now. I want my friends heartache healed. I want my knee working. I want the shallow church to dive deeper. I want so much...now. He makes everything beautiful in His time. (Ecc 3:11)

Until His time comes I will trust and obey, despite what works or doesn't work. I will do the last thing He told me to do. I will be faithful in the little things. I will revel in the His strength, despite my weakness. Despite my weak knees.

And don't you love this: For the man was above forty years old, on whom this miracle of healing was shewed. (Acts 4:22). There is HOPE for my over 40-year old knee!

1 comment:

servingHimblind said...

1. Drink the Lapacha tea I gave you
2. Have Derek give you massages on the lowest setting on the massage machine I gave you
3. stop giving everyone else the shea butter I gave you and have Kendra give you food massages with it.
4. We're praying for you and your knee!