Saturday, March 7, 2009

Good Deeds & Grace

The picture is from The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis. Because I can relate. Once again I am struck by the truth that no good deed goes unpunished. Regardless of personal sacrifice, humility and going above and beyond there are complaints and expectations that are not fulfilled and thus, offense.
`
I renew my committment to do only that which I believe God has called me to do. Even with that the fiery darts of the enemy and thought of neighbors aim to strike only to close to ones heart. And often, too, there is the question of hearing rightly from God, obediently following the course laid out by SomeOne bigger and with a higher pay grade than myself. Just taking time to listen and hear is a life theology course that I am just beginning to really understand.
`
Growing in mature faith is what I am attempting to do. Listening to Him and forfeiting my own agenda, position or title. I'm an American with a well groomed sense of entitlement but my heavenly citizenship demands more. And the more I grow the more grace required. For others. For myself. I'm not well-groomed in grace and mercy is not the top of my spiritual gifts list either. Again this week I'll have the opportunity to put aside my "rights" and my claim to being "right"and practice instead humility, even when it isn't fair. And in the end, I might just lose that which I wanted, have to give up claim to what I've worked for. Watch others get theirs.
`
And I am going to just breathe in. And breathe out. I am going to be a non-anxious presence. Hopefully bask in His presence. And by the end of the week I have the high hope of being closer to who Christ was. And is.
`
I hope that your Sabbath was peaceful, as ours was and that you look forward, with anticipation, to what's ahead.

No comments: