Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer School Shop Class

 Cube bookshelves via Ana White's site. We made 2 - one for Flower's room and one for Cub's. The 2nd one we ended up way off on the measurements and had to basically take it apart 1/2 way through and start over.  Wood glue works great. We had to hammer out the messed up cubbies. 

I was the master plan reader and director. Feeche and I took turns with the drill and Cub and Flower manned the glue and finishing nails.


Viola.
 Love them.

And here is the 2nd library cart that we made. The first one we built from scraps and it showed. This one was made out of decent lumber. The lumber yard in our small town graciously made the straight cuts for us. I did the corner rounds and handles. The paint was 2 bucks on the mis-mixed rack at UBuildIt but the kids and I decided we actually liked the color. And, it's a nice complement to all of the yellow and browns we have going on. We are going to add wheels to this little baby, and Flower would like to add clouds. The votes still out on that one.

What do you think?

8 comments:

Paula said...

beautiful! Dh and I were just discussing the projects on my list for the classroom.

melanie said...

Wow, those look great! I have always wanted to do some of her plans... how old are your helpers? were you nervous using the tools around them?

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

My helpers are 16, 11 and 8. The 16 yo probably knows more about building than I do. We've been involved in a house re-build since a house fire a year and a half ago so the kids have gotten really comfortable around the power tools. Everyone is clear about safety rules! We know a couple of farmers missing fingers- kwim?

Tina said...

Bravo. I like that color, too... the clouds would fly in her bedroom, just not in the common space :)

Hope you're having a great summer.

Lizzie said...

What a fabulous project!!

Sonshine Classical Academy said...

What a great idea! Love it!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, I need one of those library carts!

Home Instructed Students said...

Bravo! A family working together on a project is great. Your kids learned so much from this endeavor. I love it.