Sunday, August 7, 2011

School Room!

I know I promised pictures of the porch. I am experiencing technical difficulties with those, but hope to get them posted soon. In the mean-time, how 'bout I wow you with pictures of our dining room homeschool room?
from back of kitchen looking into dining room.
It's "School Room Week" at HOTM and I've been getting stuff ready.. But before we go there I just want to take a trip down memory lane. These pictures are of our dining room just last year. This is an improvement from where we started from:
From living room, looking into dining room.

From basement floor, looking up into the dining room. No floor, no wall.
This is the 18' cutaway. You are looking into the dining room from here. Crazy, eh?

 And here it is now, from the living room, looking into the dining room. It's also where the majority of our school work takes place. Yes, we do school on the couch, the porch and outside (I know the tramp will be a new fav place!)  but we start most days at the table and the notsolittles and I spend most mornings in this corner of our world.

 Here's our new library cart, complete with wheels. The space above it is bare now but that's where whatever we use as a white-board will go. I'm considering using one of the old long windows that we replaced. That, or a piece of Plexiglas. The week's memory work will go there.
One of the built in bookshelves in the living room. Each kid will get their own, or a couple. DVD's we use go on one shelf (Latin, TC, etc) and bins to hold the VP and other flash cards.

 The 2nd built in, complete with world map. I'll put the book upright once I get everything here and sorted by kid or subject.

 The newly refurbished buffet now houses art supplies.

 The art clips are on the back side of one of the built ins. I attached them with command strips and we'll put our VP history and Bible cards for the week on them. The basket houses the CD's that we'll be utilizing this year.


As this is, as my friend Shari puts it, "Command Central." The desk is loaded with paper and supplies and our links to the outside world.

Maybe by next year I'll have my dream homeschool area next to the stairs. It's pretty crowded right now 'cause our bed is still there, but this is still the plan. It's just taking a while to realize it...

Oh, and this little number. I'm in love. Haven't created it yet but it's on the project list. Got get a couple of other ideas to knock out first.

Are you ready for the new year? What's your best homeschool room idea?
Don't forget to stop by HOTM to check out more great home school rooms!
Not Back to School Blog Hop

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your room looks great! Love the pails with supplies - fantastic idea :)

Carrie said...

Looks great, Lisa!! I love the clips for the VP cards! This will be our first year to use the cards ... I may have to steal your clips idea!! ;)

Hope you have a great year!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

It's looking good! That rolling library cart is fabulous!

Unknown said...

I love the open space!! Good luck with the renovations!! Happy Homeschooling and thanks for sharing. ;)

Kathy Balman said...

The room looks great. I need to make our wipe off board too and hubby suggested plexi glass (just have to go buy it). I actually want to make it reversible and put a piece of felt on the back so the kids have a felt board.

Mary said...

Looking good! I hope you get your dream homeschool area.

Brenda said...

Looks like it's going to be awesome if you don't lose your mind in the meantime from moving stuff around!! :)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

This looks fabulous! What progress! I'm planning to post pics of our space this week , but I have to unbury it first!

Sharla said...

What a transformation!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I've always wanted a school room. Found you on Mommy-Mondays and stopped by to say, "hi"

S said...

Looks great! Hope that you have an amazing year!

fixedonHIM said...

It's wonderful! I really like the art clips.

Lena said...

you have wonderful room.

Danielle said...

Love it! We're also using the VP History cards so I love your clip idea!!! Have a great year :)

Jade Clark said...

Neat!!!

Theresa said...

Nice space! I love pails idea.

We have a school room, too, but we tend to school all over the house.

Eddie said...

Wow! What a HUGE difference! I love renovations. Your school area looks terrific.

Kelly said...

I think it looks wonderful! I am seriously jealous of your library cart though..

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Kathy- I love the idea of felt on one side of the pexi-glass/white board!
The library cart was so easy to build. Ana White's site has so many great ideas and the beginner stuff is really beginner- try it!
Thank-you, all, for the wonderful comments -You are making my week : )!

rednanasteph's place said...

Looks great. Got to get my school stuff organized. Tori is loving doing school with me. We are doing a horsey notebook right now. She loves horses,but can't take riding lessons due to her animal allergies

Sarah said...

It's looking good.

Tana said...

this looks great. I love the library cart especially!