Thursday, August 18, 2011

Family & Friends

*1*
Happy Birthday, Dear One!!

Today is Feeche's 17th birthday. I love this kid. He is smart and witty, compassionate and funny, rock solid and strong. His feet look like a Feeche's 6 months of the year, even though we live in the far north. He is well read and intellectual, tender and kind and totally sold out to the One True Living God. He looks like his Dad until you meet his Grandpa and then you think, "Clone-boy!"  He has big plans in life but shares them judiciously.
*2*
My mil deserves public praise and admiration. She spent days looking for tickets for Feeche's upcoming foray into airline madness looking for just the right connecting flights, airports and price range. She did it, saving me days of worry and anxiety, along with a couple hundred dollars.
 THANK-YOU, GRANDMA DONNA!!!

Challenge
*3*
Speaking of which, places we're going. Feeche is gonna take a little plane trip to D.C. in a month for TeenPact's Back to DC. It's a week of shaking hands with national government leaders, listening to movers and shakers speak and going to see national monuments. The morning that it ends he'll fly on over to GA to hang out with Wild Man Maj. Stansbury, who runs the Challenge program. From suit and tie one week to BDU's the next. He is jazzed.

*4*
I did it. I ordered curriculum. All in one day. It's on it's way. The only thing left is eled math (need Cub to do a placement test) and Lightening Lit student texts. Got a rockin' deal on Rosetta Stone. I'd like everyone to be bi-lingual soon, k?

*5*
More Canning. I always wonder if it's worth it but dh and dc's always say "thanks" about a thousand times every time we open something we canned at home. And some of it is almost free food. It sounds like it's been a rough gardening season for lots of folks in our neck of the woods so I don't think we did too bad. The grasshoppers, however,  might drive us to chicken ownership again.

*6*
 "The 4 Best Days of Summer" is how our county fair, the longest continuing running fair in the territories, bills itself. As usual we went with our good friends Lori and Cyndi and all of our dc's, along with the M family. The kids shared tickets and fair food and friendship and screams of joy on the zipper. We love you guys!!

*7*
Got some very touching responses in response to my article Endure over at HOTM. I'd love to hear your feedback.

What's new in your neck of the woods?

Link up with Jennifer, Sue or at the Hop.

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! Happy Birthday. My oldest turns ten next week...seeing your son, hearing your words....I have to say...those Mama tears are wanting to fall! Sounds like you have an amazing MIL....and your son is growing into an amazing leader! GREAT job to you for organizing curriculum. I'll need advice on that, as our books grow and my children grow....any hints on organization?

Faith said...

Happy birthday to your son. He sounds wonderful!

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Hey Rebecca, I've been writing lots of "How to's" and "Saturday Specials" over at the Homeschool Village. Many are on organization (which makes my dh laugh cause he is the one who looks and is always organized ; ). My biggest tip is to write down what your vision for homeschooling is. What is God calling you to? Then, when things get rough,refer back to it and remember what the whole point is.
My in-laws have done so very many practical and kind things for us over the years. She is the one who designed our new kitchen when we re-built from the fire!
Blessings to you!

the striped rose said...

Happy Birthday to your son; that is quie a milestone! All in one day! Wow - I continue to be impressed! :)

Gifts for Girls Academy said...

Happy Birthday to your son! It is so amazing how fast they grow.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness- my oldest just turned10 and it was much more difficult than me turning 40! Gonna go read the endure post- :) God bless!

MommyKuehner said...

Joining from HSMJ. Wow...I can't imagine another 6 years saying my oldest will be 17. Scares me a little:)

Isn't it amazing how much time we put into choosing curriculum. Makes me wonder if the schools actually do that..lol.

Really like your blog. Hopping over to read your other article next.

Renita
www.krazykuehnerdays.com

Anonymous said...

We went to our fair this week! Do have a list of what your using curriculum wise? I love to see what others use:)

Jade Clark said...

Sounds like a good week! Happy birthday to your son!

Mama Bird said...

Happy birthday to your son

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Thanks for all of the warm and wonderful comments and birthday wishes for my son. Big smiles from him in return!

Marcee- my curriculum picks are in this post: http://goldengrasses.blogspot.com/2011/07/year-21-curriculum-picks.html

WildIris said...

Lovely post. I'm off to read "Endure".

Daisy said...

Happy Birthday to your son!

I'm curious which language you chose for Rosetta Stone. :-)

Karen said...

Wow - Happy Birthday to your son and Good job to you.

Enjoy the end of summer and the getting ready for school.