Friday, August 12, 2011

Project-ville

In my life this week…It's been Project-ville around here...

Canning: peaches, grape juice, pickled beets, jam and grape jelly.

Shanty to Chic

Harvesting: It's been a very mediocre gardening year. Lots of regulars just couldn't take the cold wet spring and then the brutish heat. Our big win was the cabbage. We are starting to harvest tomatoes and we've been eating bruschetta nightly *(yum!) but I'm not sure how much they'll be left to make into salsa or bruschetta for the winter. Still waiting on the eggplant and we might (crossing fingers) have some squash at the end of it all.

Shanty shelf: It looks much like the picture here, but I am using different hooks and, of course, am experiencing technical difficulties. I really like it because I used the old bead board siding from the back porch and a scrap piece of birch wood from the kitchen re-build.

Created World Conflict Cards.

In our homeschool this week…
The kids did lots of phys ed (i.e. jumped on the tramp), watched Jane Austen videos, had water balloon fights. Feeche wrote and wrote and wrote for hours. Cub jumped on board and wrote for hours. Flower and I have a nightly date with Laura Ingalls Wilder. We are amazed, no matter how many times we read the series, at how the pioneers carved lives out for themselves with a few hand-tools and lots of perseverance.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Not far to the front yard for evenings around the fire pit. Dusk is getting cooler and coming sooner.
Feeche is going to Back to DC in just over a month, followed by Challenge. We are trying to work out a visit with grandparents and keep it all reasonable as far as time and money goes. He'll be wearing suit and tie in Washington for a week and then BDU's in GA. Whipslash, or teen adrenaline rush.

I’m cooking…
Bruschetta. Summer in a bowl!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
KB is an arteest, don't you agree?

11 comments:

the striped rose said...

We love Laura Ingalls and Jane Austen here too. I'm not sure what happened to my poor garden this year!

Unknown said...

You have a beautiful family and a great blog. Your KB is quite the artist. I think one of my middle ones will be like that as well. Following you from the Friday Blog Hop.

Maria (also Bia) said...

I'm just jealous that you have such an abundant tomato crop that you have bruschetta every night. I could live on bruschetta ... and mozzarella ... and crutsy bread ... and red wine ;-)

Anonymous said...

ohhh...how do you make bruschetta for the winter? Me, me, me...*raising my hand* :)

Unknown said...

Stopping by from the blog hop and am now a new follower of your blog thru GFC. I have been telling all the bloggers who homeschool that I admire that you are able to do that because I would be a basket case. I am a very nervous person and more so with all my surgeries and illnesses the past 5 years. So, I take my hat off to those of you who do such a great job. I would love a follow back when you get a chance. Thanks so very much and have a wonderful weekend.

Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

Mandy in TN said...

I just love reading your posts!

Lisa Weidknecht said...

Thanks for joining my Planet Weidknecht Weekend Hop!

Alissabeth said...

What a sweet family! I'm a homeschool grad - loved it!!

New follower from Planet Weidknecht's hop.

Jeff and Kristie Doty said...

Oh, the grape juice, jelly and the bruschetta sound DELICIOUS! Reading Laura Ingalls always makes me feel sooooo thankful for how easy life is for us.

Tina said...

If I believed in reincarnation (and I don't), I'd want to come back as your student :)

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Thank you for all of the sweet comments! Bruschetta recipe coming up!
Mandy and Tina- you both make me smile often!!
Alissabeth- way cool! Want to guest blog for me?