Friday, June 3, 2011

Still Waiting on Summer!

*1*
A bit of dirty weather round here....wind and rain all week. You don't know the meaning of wind storm until you've experienced one on the Great Plains. Between the high winds and the over cast skies, it was a dreary week. We did brave the weather a few times for walks and discovered a huge old snapping turtle on the side of the road about 3/4 miles from the river. It was gone by the time I got back with my camera. Here's another of the baby snapper we found earlier this week


*2*
Grammar, typing tutor, quarter mile math, reading, bike riding, walks, Computer games and Pride & Prejudice (again). Flower has declared it her favorite movie.

*3* 
6 kittens. The kids are thrilled.

*4*
The garden is growing- slowly. The beans, cabbage, lettuce, spinach and beets are happy. Not much else is. We need some heat and some temperate weather! We planted a couple different color iris' this year. Every single one came up purple (we dig them up by the bucketfuls in the fall and throw them on the compost heap. They grow there too!). We are slowly taking back the fields that went wild last year.

*5*
Played Risk for the very first time on Monday. We ended early but I had taken both Africa and Europe and was well on my way to controlling Australia and the Middle East. If only I could translate my ability to play board games into an income stream.

*7*
Feeche is reading The Iron Lance (Lawhead is our current author of choice)  Cub finished The King Raven trilogy (in about 3 weeks) and declared it fantastic. The boys are also working their way through The Dragon King trilogy. Flower is reading lots of Bernstein Bears these days and I am reading Godless: The Church of Liberalism by Ann Coulter. I've avoided her in the past due to her biting wit (I have one of my own that I am constantly trying to curb). But, she is funny and clever and intellectual, as well as having a biting wit. The 2 chapters on Darwinism would make great additions to any high school apologetics course.
I didn't know that Ann was a Christian, she refers to her faith frequently. I like that. A woman of committed faith who has made her biting wit pay. (I bet she's good at board games, too!)

Inspiration please: what books, movies do you recommend for summer?

Conversion Diaries, The Homeschool ChickFriday Blog Hop 

6 comments:

G said...

I'm with you on the weather. It has been chilly and very damp here in No. Calif., not at all summery!

Lisa Weidknecht said...

Hopped over to follow you! Follow me too? Weidknecht.blogspot.com

Sheri said...

Oh, I love Ann Coulter's biting wit. I think it's refreshing in this PC world of ours. I guess it appeals to the rebel in me. I have never read any of her books..I will add this one to the list!

Sheri (visiting from Homeschool Mother's Journal)

Debbie said...

That has to be the cutest little turtle ever. I'm a new follower from the hop. Hope you have a lovely evening and I'm looking forward to reading more from your blog.

http://mccormickmadness.com

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Sheri- Ann is biting but oh so clever!
Debbie- the turtle was adorable but we still kept our fingers clear of it's beak! The huge Momma one could easily take off a finger!
Gillian- warm temps this week-end- hoping the same for you. I LOVE N California. We spent a fair amount of time there during grad school (Pasadena)- we had friends in the Bay area. My oldest just spent a week there ; )

thanks for the follows! If blogger will cooperate I'll be over to see ya'll ; )

Eileen Marie Miller said...

Stopped by from HMJ. I love your blog. You have much experience and I would like to follow you to get some ideas on book recommendations and / or movies. I need help in this area.