Wednesday, June 17, 2009

WW: Look What We're Growing! Kittens, Cabbages & More!

Our "Little House on the Prairie." It is a wonderful house. You can just barely see the eyebrow window on the right hand side- that's the dining room. The enclosed front porch is where we are spending lots of time these days. Grandma Donna gave us her comfy and beautiful porch furniture and it is one of our favorite places. (disregard front flower bed. It's "in progress.") A 99 cent seed pack of lettuce has yielded so much lettuce we can't keep up with it. I'm giving it away at every turn and we are eating salads daily. Leaf, Red Leaf and Romaine. 100% wonderful.
Our spring crop of kittens. 3 males, 1 female. Oh well. Momma Sophie and babies


Metal Man holding a viola, just outside the front steps.
The Brassicas (cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli) are thriving in all of the cool, rainy weather we've been having. Melons in upper left hand corner.


'Taters and Onions. Our first year of growing potatoes. They seem to like it here.


After 4 years of working on the strawberry's we are having a bumper crop. They are big, beautiful and delicious. I was thinking we might have some extra to freeze but the kids keep having snack time in the berry beds!


Feche-boy's grapes. We had to put netting over them. The deer were coming right up in to the yard and helping themselves to the vines. Last year we canned 6 quarts of grape juice. It looks like it will be a lot more this year!

Cabbage!


A friend gave me a wild rose start 5 years ago and it's never bloomed. This year it is blooming like mad and sending runners everywhere. The scent is heavenly. I've always wanted to make rose-hip jelly and it looks like I'll finally have my chance!


Roses and peonies. All pink. All gorgeous. The peonies were here when we moved but in a small circle in the front yard. I moved them against the fence. We have one deep wine color on the other fence and we planted white last year but they didn't come up.


The hosta bed, complete with wagon rims found on the property as we were cleaning up. There's a columbine hidden in amongst the hostas in front of the wind chime. Viking Man rolled a huge log up next to this area and it is lovely to sit here in the heat of the day.


The front flower bed, chock full of flowers and herbs. The poor pine tree was ravaged by goats a few years ago and is just now looking respectable again. I'm not sure the bottom half will ever fully recover.


So far I've harvested Swiss chard, several pounds of lettuce, strawberries, parsley. I dried our first batch of parsley yesterday and will do more today. We ran out of everything dried last year way too fast so I'm hoping to rectify that this year.

What's growing at your place?

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I love your yard! It looks so peaceful. Oh, and that kitty. I wish they never grew up. :)

servingHimblind said...

Silvana taught me how to make Lettuce Soup!! You can also do it with Spinach, but I think lettuce is better. You also need onions, garlic, pork with plenty of rind left on it (I disagree about the rind part) and sour cream.