Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Booyah Badlands!

Before heading home we spent the day at the Badlands... Spatial perspective is lost amongst the enormity of the cliffs.

95 degrees and dry.
Breathtaking.The week was that much better because beautiful Miss. R flew in from KY. We dropped her back at the airport today (sniffle).


After a whole day of hiking, they've still got the beat....

Viking Man and the 3 youngest hiked to the very highest peak in the background. It was only a 1/4 mile walk to the trail head of the longer hikes, but it was very steep. Miss. R and I stayed below and watched carload after car-load of folks drive off without hiking once they considered the grade.


Hiking, exploring and adventuring made for happy people.

14 comments:

Verns said...

worth the walk.. awesome place ...

Hope you can drop by
My Wordless Wednesday here

Ms. Latina said...

It looks like the family had a fun time! It must have been breathtaking in real life. Thanks for the pics! Happy WW!

Btw, came via wordlesswednesday.com!

You can see mine here:
http://latinaonamission.com/2010/08/wordless-wednesday-last-days-of-summer/

Anonymous said...

what a gorgeous place! beautiful photos.

Stratoz said...

been there twice in my life. great place to celebrate on a WW

Dumb Mom said...

It's funny to me to visit blogs of people still on summer vacation. I feel like we've been back in school for ages already. As for the hiking...I woulda been one of the people who looked and kept driving. Hiking is SO not my thing!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like an amazing trip.

Happy WW!

Cara said...

Oh wow, what gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing them!

Tifani said...

That is just amazing!! I hope I can take my family there some day.

Dorcas said...

How fun! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!
~Dorcas
http://4sweetangels.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

was a beautiful view!

servingHimblind said...

I still don't understand why people drove up to the badlands in their puny covered wagons and thought, "ooh! Arid! hot! Dry! Desolate! Volcanic-ash-dirt! Let's stop HERE and live!!! I mean great place to visit and all that. Just sayin'. ;-)

XmasDolly said...

Neat pics. Thanks for sharing. I'm your latest follower. Hope you get time to do the same.

Night Owl Mama said...

what beautiful scenery Looks like a wonderful day

Savannah McQueen said...

OH this looks lovely. I love to hike but we live six hours from the mountains so I rarely get to enjoy it. Isn't it great that your whole family is old enough to enjoy this together?