Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Oven Dried Apples

Last year was the year of corn. We were gifted with about 200 lbs., which Viking Man cheerfully hauled home and the kids & I shucked, blanched and froze. This year was the year of the apple. There were apples everywhere in our part of the world! We picked and picked and then picked some more. We canned applesauce, apple butter, froze some for winter baking and ate many fresh. And finally, we began drying them. We don't own a dehydrator, so I tried the oven- it worked beautifully.

Step #1 -Wash your apples. Ours weren't sprayed, but there were fields nearby that were. Peel and core. I have a nifty corer, slicer thingy but you can use a paring knife, too. We did a whole bunch at once and then stored them in lemon juice in the frig. You wouldn't have to use the lemon if you didn't want to- it keeps the apples from discoloring and they'll be brown in the end anyway = ).


Step #2 - lay your sliced apples on a cookie sheet. Don't overlap or they won't dry as quickly. Set your oven to it's lowest temp -say 175 degrees. It will take several hours to dry the apples and they will shrink considerably.
Step #3 - I turn the apples mid-drying, so they look a little "rumpled" upon completion. If you don't turn them, they might be difficult to remove from the sheet at the end of drying. You can very lightly oil your cookie sheet to keep the apples from sticking too.


Step #4.
When completly dry, store in an airtight container. They should keep for several months (if they last that long).


As easy as 1, 2, 3. I wondered if it was worth the time and energy to make these until I went to the health food store and saw them for sale at $11.95 a pound! I am now convinced! Everyone loves them and they are 100% good stuff.
We also had great success this year oven drying tomatoes (if you haven't tried them- they are delish!), parsley and basil.. How 'bout you?


9 comments:

Angela said...

Wow! Thanks for that! I love dried apples - and now I can make them!

Melissa said...

I have never done this but they look easy and so delicious! Now I'm going to have to give it a try...what kinds of apples have you used for this?

judahmo said...

We didn't make it apple picking this year and we're going to miss the dried apples!
Shannon

Ruskin said...

These look so yummy. I hope you enjoy them!

Lizzie said...

Lovely and yummy! Can't go wrong with that combo!
Lizzie in Ma

Rhonda said...

Those look so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you made it sound so simple! I love dried apples. Happy eating!

servingHimblind said...

1. Awesome pictures!! I especially loved the first one
2. If there isn't at least one can of those left by the time I get home, somebody's gonna have sore ears by the time I'm through with them.
:-D

Miss Elisabeth said...

;-D He he he... Sorry, I think they'll all be chowed down by the time you get back home... okay maybe we'll leave one ;)

~ K