Sunday, December 18, 2011

The True Meaning of Christmas

Yesterday at Bible Study the topic was "how we celebrate Christmas" (some of our study members don't). It was a great study (again) that included Astronomy (Dr. Geek saw to that) Jewish & pagan festivals, and the birth and conception date of Christ.

The conception date of Jesus is is probably during the Winter solstice (in the Northern hemisphere, where over 80% of the world's population dwells) during the darkest days of the year.

Light came in to the world. He dwelt among us.
He didn't have to.
He choose to. He loved to.

He entered into the world on its darkest days.

I like Christmas; the decorations, the tree, twinkle lights, the music and movies and church songs and services- mostly. But it can also be a time of intense pressure. Come up with presents that are meaningful from an already strained budget and create  holidays that are memory making and picture worthy. It's supposed to be magical and stress free.

My Mom was not perfect, but the one thing she did better than anyone else was to create magic at Christmas. She's been gone over a decade and I've felt the loss each and every year. No one else has stepped in to fill her shoes and while I'm good to have around in a crisis and have lots of other redeemable qualities, magic making is not my gift. My husband's mantra this year has been, in response to everything I think needs to be done, is this; "Does this glorify the light coming in to the darkness. Because if it doesn't we don't need to do it."

And honestly, I think Dr. Viking Man got it right (again).. We try to create something wonderful, (I do at least) protect our kids from disappointment (maybe that's just me). When, in reality, all we need to do is really get a hold of the fact that

LIGHT
 came into the Darkness and the Darkness could not wrap it's arms around it.
Because of that the darkness can not wrap it's arms around us. 


The presents, food, twinkle lights, memories, it's all good. But it's not the heart of the matter. I want my kids to know the reality of Christmas. It's bigger and beyond presents and expectations (theirs and ours). It's about Him, not us.

A Blessed Sabbath!



No comments: