Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hope


Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1
*
I have always understood the word "hope" to mean that we could long for something and it might, or might not, come to pass. It was shared with me last week that the word "hope" in Hebrew is a word that indicates completion. The thing is done. We can rest, in confident assurance that our hope will be fulfilled. I love that. It gives me pause when I consider what I do hope for. My hopes have changed as I've gotten older, wiser, moved around, launched children. I long now for confident assurance.

An intersting word study on the Hebrew word "hope."

I love how "hope" and "mikveh" are tied together. Longing and purity. Perhaps what we long for brings about our cleansing, or not.

January and February are busy seasons around here. It's generally bitterly cold, windy, or worse, both. We have high hopes around this time. That our tasks and work of ministry are completed well, that we continue educating our children with diligence, that spring will come. Green will break through the wind-blown plain and a new season will emerge. That this season will end with hopes fulfilled. That confident assurance will be ours. That hope will be the garmet that we wear.

I hope the same for you. A blessd Sabbath!

Again, I highly recommend the book, "Honor, Patronage, Kinship and Purity" by David DeSilva for an excellent study on purity in the Old Testament. Paradigm shifting book.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

"It was shared with me last week that the word "hope" in Hebrew is a word that indicates completion. The thing is done. We can rest, in confident assurance that our hope will be fulfilled."

I love this!! Wonderful post.