Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Cost of Doing the Right Thing

George Grant wrote a beautiful tribute to Rosa Parks on Dec.1, the 55th anniversary of her infamous bus ride. You can read it in it's entirety here. But the part that really catches my attention is this:

"Of course, the protest proved to be costly for Parks. She lost her job and was unable to find other work in Montgomery. Parks and her husband finally were forced to relocate to Detroit, Michigan in 1957, where they continued to struggle financially for years. Even so, she remained unwavering in her conviction that she had done what was right. And so was the freedom of millions of Americans secured by her solitary courage."

Doing the right thing costs. The paradox of the Gospel and living a life of faith. Paul writes, "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God, in Christ Jesus, for you. " (I Thessalonians 5:8)

A Blessed Sabbath.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Thanks in all things.
Good Sabbath to you and your family.

Tina said...

Yes, sister, it does cost. Some days more than others, I have to remind myself my reward comes in heaven and what a glorious time it will be as I lay my "payment" right back at the Lord's feet.