Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top 10 Items for Homeschooling

Homeschool Mug
What are your top 10 items needed for homeschooling? Here's mine. When you're done, write yours and go link up!
1 -Belief in something bigger than ourselves, that His plans and purposes for us and our children are good and that homeschooling is part of His plan. Otherwise, why go through the trial, turmoil and expense  of homeschooling?
ordinary people

2- Vision. We've homeschooled long enough (finishing up year 21) to have gone through some highs and lows as we've gone thorugh this little academic adventure. Without a clear reason about WHAT we are doing and WHY, we wouldn't have made it this far!

tymn armstrong
3- Imagination. Without the ability to be envisioning what's next, what else is out there, I would go slowly mad. I mean, if math fact sheets were all there were to homeschooling....I like math fact sheets, but they are rather limited in scope. Gotta move beyond the page.
pixie dust
4- Curiosity. Who else is working the program, creating things, formulating ideas, putting things together? How can I glean from them, learn from them, grow and develop as an educator.

I believe in magic.

5- A husband that believe in homeschooling and creating an educational environment to the point of working double time so that I can stay home and educated our kids. Even when that mean financial and emotional sacrifice for him.

6- The Library. Yours, mine, ours. One of the joys of homeschooling is discovering other bibliophiles who are only too happy to loan you one of their favorite books, CD's or DVD's series. I love saying and hearing these words, "Have you seen/read/discovered X yet? Ohhh! I have a book (CD, DVD) of theirs to loan you!"
7- Writing instruments. Tools of the trade. Pens, pencils, paper, sharpeners, erasers, paper cutters, clips, notebooks, clip boards. Love the stuff. Office supplies stores make me happy. Having the proper tools around, ready to go- priceless.
,

8- Curriculum that works. I no longer buy curriculum that will be "fun." I buy curriculum based on my educational pedagogy, because I believe that hard work is reward, that my pedagogy is timeless and will work, that my kids need to learn the value of something bigger than fun. I limit myself to a few tried and true curriculum suppliers and L.O.V.E. their stuff. It's like aspirin. "Take two, give it time, works every time."

9- Time. Time to study, think, mull. This is the reason we've unplugged and limited electronics. I'd much rather my kids spent time field walking and tramp jumping and gardening and reading than having their brains filled with someone else's shallow idea of a thought.
♥  i absolutely LOVE this.
10- Like-minded homeschooling families.Invaluable. Homeschooling is a lonely road. Having friends to walk the path with you is worth it's weight in gold.

The birth of a friendship (C.S. Lewis). Lewis is the man.

Link up

4 comments:

Proverbs 22:6 Academy said...

Such a fantastic list!!! Everything on your list should be on all our lists. 21 years of homeschooling! Wow. How wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing. Be Blessed.

Sharla said...

Love, love, love your list! A few of these are on my list too. I can tell from reading your list that you are a seasoned homeschooler. Vision is not on my list, but it should be.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I love that you put vision on your list. I don't think I've seen that on the other lists. How vital it is though!

Amy Maze said...

Yes! Thank you for sharing the wisdom you have gained from 21 years! Wow! I'm going to have to browse to find out which curriculum and books you have found to work so well for your family! Thanks for sharing this with us at Trivium Tuesday!