Saturday, September 24, 2011

More Busy Days

In my life this week…It was one of those weeks. The kind that are busy and scattered and leave you feeling like you got nothing done, hence the inadvertent blog break.

By the books: We finish Martin LaPorres for Cubs lit class as well as Farmer Boy. We started By the Banks of Plum Creek. I am still getting through Almost Christian and have started a book on writing, which I am loving. It is chock full of good stuff, but I can't remember the exact name of it and I'm not home to find out. Don't worry, I'll let you know more about it later.
In our homeschool this week…We started  VP Bible Cards, worked on Math, Latin (First Form and LC I), Poetry, Grammar, Lego League, IEW's Fables. I'm co-teaching art for co-op so twice a month I'm teaching drawing to the Jr. and Sr. Highers using Bruce McIntyre's excellent "drawing textbook." Along with 20+ other students we spent a day at a One Room School House that was in service to the Territories from 1883 -1978 (pics soon, I don't have my camera with me either!).  The grandson of the gentleman who built the school house was a special guest during the kids visits and recited poetry, sang songs and tried to trip them up on Latin words. Not bad for a man of 96 years old!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to shareshow up to homeschool.

I am inspired by…way too many things. The book we are reading, the excellent conversations I've been privileged to be a part of with the ladies in our homeschoooling community, the soon to be released Courageous film and the Kendrick brothers (really, they inspire me big time!), Allen Addison, the book on writing I'm reading and Pinterest.  I'm visual, what can I say. I love researching ideas on there. I'd love to get my own pinboard but the days have been speeding by.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…Picking up Feeche for 10 days gone this evening. We'll love hearing about all of his exploits and having him home again. His quiet, strong presence has been missed.
Stopping on the way to visit with Don and Ricci. They are the real deal and I love hanging out with them!
Our Saturday morning fellowship/study group. It just gets better and better.
 Again, Courageous. Make plans to go. You won't be disappointed! The humor is laugh out loud funny, the plot touching and inspiring. The message evangelistic.
Oy vey. My brain is full. I have a zillion things to write about but I haven't had time to mull and sort it all out so it's kind of all in a giant random global brain jumble right now.

Things I’m working on…
An article on Sukkot. It has taken on a life of it's own. I'm learning a ton about Jewish holidays and festivals right now. It's amazing what we learn as we get ready to teach!
Mudding the bedroom that goes to the attic. Viking Man put paper down on the floors upstairs, put down drop cloths and got everything ready to go for me. Now for time to get it done! Then we're going to texture and, hopefully move our bed into a bedroom (Lisa, doing the grand pumbah happy dance!).
Squash recipes! My friend Mary has gifted us with butternuts! I'm thinking bisque and squash baked with sausage, apples and onions.
I’m reading…How to write a book with a stack of about 30 others waiting. The weather has been glorious, making it too nice to be inside reading.




How was your week? What's inspired you lately?

2 comments:

the striped rose said...

Love your helpful homeschool advice!! :)
I am going to check out the drawing book. Dd-almost-11 needs a bit more than Draw Write Now books.
I love butternuts in lasagna and ravioli!
So happy to hear of all your progress on the house!

Maves Faves said...

All this hopping would make a rabbit tired, but not us bloggers! I’m a new follower from Hop Til You Drop . Hope you follow back. Please follow back http://mavesfaves.blogspot.com/. So sorry to read about your leg. OUCH. Will be praying for you.