Friday, September 9, 2011

In my life this week…We sanded, did an inordinate amount of vacuming rooms that we haven't lived in in almost 2 years, moved and hauled stuff and wood trim around some more (100's of pounds of it.)  I should really, truly, look far more buff than I do.

In our homeschool this week…We did a lot of reading. The rest of the week, besides Tutoring Center and Co-op, focused on the floors. Oy vey. I am so not ready for this fall.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…Little by little, one travels far. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I am inspired by…Addison Allen's writing. It's a bit too romancy for me (I really, mostly, don't ever read romance, but her stories are mainly delightful and even the romance isn't, generally, too sappy or discontent-making) What really captured my imagination was the new to me genre -mystical realism- that she writes in. It's the story behind the story, the unseen that becomes seen, the unspoken that is said, the scents of places and people that take on lives of thier own and become characters. I am enthralled.

.Places we’re going.... Feeche hops on a plane in less than a week to fly the friendly skies. D.C. and the Land of Dixie are on the agenda. Suit & tie and BDU's. He deserves a break from all of the sanding, vacuming, hauling and poly-ing, along with every other -ing we've been doing.. He has earned every bit of this trip but I'm gonna miss his being around when Viking Man isn't.  

...and people we’re seeing…Drs. Dan and Mary Ann. Stopped by over Labor Day on their way from Hoosier ville to the coast, and ate, cooked, helped with the floors, went to the UBuildIt store with us, sat at the fire and ate rhubarb apple pie- a delish dish! These are our friends who lived on a yacht for a year, sailing to Fiji,, whave written a book (The Last Reunion) and are busy re-modeling a huge old farmhouse very close to our college stomping grounds.
My favorite thing this week and the things I’m working onthe floors. Booyah, baby! Another coat of poly today, then 2 light sandings, 2 more coats and the floors are done.

A link to share...How to Educate Your Kids by yours truly, over at HSV. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

9 comments:

the striped rose said...

Love the homeschooling tip! Off to check out your article!

Unknown said...

You weren't kidding when you said you worked on life skills this week! Your friends sound fascinating - I'll have to look up their book.

Anonymous said...

Did you take before photos of the floors? Sounds like you've had a busy and productive week. Happy weekend.

Mary said...

I look forward to seeing floor pictures!

Daisy said...

I'm impressed by your handiness. I'm one of those annoying women who says, "So hubby when are you getting around to that?" LOL.

Faith said...

Hi Mrs. N, I awarded you a blog award. So please head over to my blog to find out how you can pick it up :)

http://labornotinvain.blogspot.com/2011/09/lovely-blog-award.html

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Born of necessity, Daisy. Belive me, I was so intimidated about the applying the first coat of polyurethane that I took a moment to pray over it!!

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

Chucki- my 17 ds too k the ics ofthe floors. I love the perspective my kids get- they are not afraid to get down on the floor ; )

Unknown said...

I seriously dislike sanding floors. We've only done it once in this house but of course it has needed it so many more times but I just can't bring myself to doing it when there are still so many children running around. I remember when we did it several years ago, it turned everything into a huge mess. My husband is wanting to get to it again but I frown each time he brings it up!