Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Daddy-Long-Legs

Read a delightful YA book this week: Daddy-Long-Legs, written by Jean Webster. KB read it months ago and said it was terrific. She was right. Written by Jean Webster, the novel is compiled of a series of letters written by an orphan. The orphan finds herself the recipient of a generous college scholarship and allowance, gifted by an anonymous donor who simply requires that she write him each month. Surprisingly the author creates lovable characters, an engaging plot and an (almost) unexpected ending solely through the lens of Jean's letters.


There are a couple movie re-makes of the book, including a 1955 version starring Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron. As you can guess the movie is full of fantastic dancing. Watching Fred move always brings a smile to my face.
The copy that we read had a great biographical sketch of the author, who was related to both Mark Twain (he was her great uncle) and Daniel Boone. Sadly Jean Webster's life was short, but her literary legacy lives on in the charming work of fiction.

1 comment:

Jean said...

I think I read this years ago when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything--maybe I should get it again!