Sunday, March 21, 2010

Biz Books

Two books this week, one kinda segued into another and they both picked up The Global Student theme. The first was What I Wish I Knew When I Was Twenty by Tina Seelig. Before I say anything else, let me just state, for the record, that she is uber smart. A Ph.D. in Neuroscience, author, professor, management consultant, etc. Her book is basically how to take what you have, think creatively about it and create something better. The old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" just doesn't fly with Ms. Seelig, or her cohorts around the world. Cub and I have been working on story problems almost daily and continually refer to a 4 Step chart I recently made him titled, "How to Solve a Problem." Seelig basically uses this chart to not only solve problems, but to find them. Great examples using companies and inventions that we are all familiar with, like angioplasty and Apple Computers. Great exercises in leadership and entrepreneurship; this book is chock-full of fun exercises to grow and expand in both areas.


Next up was a book I've had lying around for a couple of weeks: The Four Hour Work Week, by Timothy Ferris. I almost returned it unread, but am so glad that I didn't. Great read on owning a biz, automating it and taking many mini-retirements throughout life. I'm gonna be buying this one and heartily recommend it. It puts feet to Kiyosaki's books with down to earth pragmatics. Good, good stuff.






No comments: