Thursday, April 9, 2009

Veronica

(Bida)

I have been mesmerized by the Biblical account of Veronica for many years. Remember her? The women with the issue of blood for 12 years? History says that she was probably a wealthy woman at the beginning of her illness but medical bills and her ritual uncleanliness left her monetarily and socially destitute. One touch of the Jesus' robe, however, even though it possibly meant death by stoning (she was unclean, touching the clothes of a Rabbi) cured her, brought her deliverance.

I realized tonight that I love this story because it is my story. I am unclean. I am broken. I am destitute. I am desperate for a miraculous touch. I know my own lack and want and waste and it is overwhelming at times.

But Jesus Christ knows. He is willing to let me come near. To burden Him. To give of Himself. To make me clean, whole, pure. To make all things, even me, even you, new.

No comments: