Thursday, December 4, 2008

Defining Self

I have always appreciated the verse in Habbukuk that states, "Write the vision, make it plain." I am a writer, I like to envision, this is a "natural" thing for me to do. Ofter I get caught up in the activity of writing "it" down, even when it is not mine to own. I recently was quite enthused to consider the 9/9/9 reading challenge. Upon reflection I won't be participating. It's not that I'm not a reader, or don't see the value in guided reading. It's that I know myself enough to know that when I am caught up in a book the things that are in my hand to do are neglected. There is so much I want to do, yet I find myself, more and more, longing to do the things I'm called to do with care and skill and passion and excellence. I am middle-aged enough to fully realize that time is a commodity of which I have less and less of. So, I continue to go back to the simple things, the things close to home, the seemingly mundane and unobtrusive, the small. Knowing that women the world over and throughout the ages have done the same. Home-keeping, training children, reading, praying. Finding joy and surprise when the vision expands to include a new purpose or ministry or friend, or the revitalization of a friendship or ministry that seemed depleted or frayed. Breathing gratitude for this season, this time and place when we are at peace, we prosper, and we have choices.
The Vision is simple. What do I have in my hand? How do I steward these resources. Write the vision. Make it plain.

2 comments:

nancy said...

This looks like great reading. I used to see Mark Chironna on TV but haven't seen him for quite a long tims. I was very impressed with him.
Thanks for your comment on my paper craft.
Kindest regards,
Nancy

nancy said...

I realized I needed to come back and comment on your reflections in the post. I so identify with your position and quest. I'm a "writer of the vision" too. If I write it, I get it! Middle age? I'm there too, but thankful that now there are fewer unknowns. So many things are settled and fixed. That is a blessing.
Nancy